Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Nothing says Fall and Winter like snuggling up next to a warm, cozy fire in your Ball home. While it may be tempting to grab some firewood and make a fire the minute cooler weather sets in, it’s important to make sure your fireplace is fire-ready.
According to the United States Fire Administration, heating fires account for 36% of residential home fires in rural areas every year. Often these fires are due to creosote buildup in chimneys. Instead of making your home a part of these statistics, follow these steps to make sure your fireplace is ready for action.
Keep Your Fireplace Clean
Before you start up that first fire of the season, make sure your fireplace and chimney are cleaned by a licensed professional. Keep the area clear of any debris, decorations, or flammable materials.
Know How to Burn
If you have glass doors on your fireplace, keep them open when burning a fire. Leaving the doors open allows for enough air to reach the fire, and will also burn off any creosote buildup. Use the mesh screen to keep embers and debris from escaping out of the hearth.
Fuel the Fire
Use only seasoned hardwood for your fire starter. Do not use flammable liquids to start your fire. Do not burn cardboard boxes, trash, or debris. Do not leave your fire unattended. Extinguish your fire before going to bed or leaving the house. Allow the ashes to cool before disposing of them. Place the ashes in a tightly covered metal container and keep the ash container at least 10 feet away from your home.
Following these few simple fireplace safety tips will help you prepare your fireplace and safely operate a fire in your Ball home this season.